So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom. Psalm 90.12

Wednesday 4 April 2012

Yet Another Reason to Homeschool...

... and make sure your kids actually have some practical life skills.

Yesterday, I was standing in the queue at the post office waiting to pick up a parcel.  A young lady, probably about 15 or 16 years old, came dashing in with an envelope and a handful of change.  She said to the postmistress, "Thirty-four cents should be enough to mail that, right?" indicating the envelope in her hand.  The postmistress choked back a laugh and answered, "No, dear.  It would cost AT LEAST sixty-one cents."  The girl looked back at her mail in disbelief, swore, and ran out of the post office.

It was funny, but sobering.   Our domestic postal rate hasn't been 34 cents since the late 1980's.  This girl obviously had no clue how much it currently costs to mail a letter.  Granted, in this day of email, texting, and instant messaging, mailing a letter isn't as common as it once was.  Still, being able to mail a letter is a basic life skill (as is being able to write one properly, but that's a different topic).  Our society is filled with young people who have all kinds of "education", but no practical knowledge.  They can go on and on about the environment and have opinions about all sorts of social issues, but have no idea how to make a household budget, shop for groceries, or prepare food for themselves.

I know this is quite a rant about a tiny incident in a small-town post office, but it seems to me to point to a larger issue.  There is an absence of common sense.  We don't teach our children life skills (like how to cook, clean, handle money, etc) because it is just easier for us to do it for them.  When the average student graduates at age 18, they may have all kinds of "book smarts" (and the piece of paper that proves it) and are considered adults, but they may have no ability to take care of themselves.

A final thought - are we raising children or future adults?

Thank you for stopping by today!  Linking to the Hip Homeschool Hop.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So many wonderful reasons to homeschool and this is definitely one of them

Laura said...

Excellent post!

Jacqueline said...

Thank you ladies!

Unknown said...

Exactly! I really think SOME parents feel their children can't DO for themselves! My just turned 7-year-old son can COOK himself breakfast (although I am nearby). My oldest can plan a week of meals for 5 on a budget with sales flyers and coupons - making them healthy - and cook them! My daughter can work an electric screwdriver. (Obviously we've taught them safety and aren't far away...) It surprises me how many 13-year-olds (my oldest son's age) can't do ANY of these things! Kids can accomplish so much more than we think they can! :D

Jo@simplybeingmum said...

Hey Jackie - Firstly thank you for the food dye tips!
I don't homeschool - its rather uncommon in the UK. But the more I read about it, the more I wonder whether i could incorporate some of it to our homelife. Common sense is so important. My Mom taught me to cook and clean (although I still hate housework), she taught me to knit and many other things. She also taught me to be careful with money. I'll definitely be checking in to see how you are doing it over there. Thank you Jo

Autismland Penny said...

Yes, unfortunately , common sense is lacking in this world in children and adults too! I am always amazed at some people's lack of sense.