So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom. Psalm 90.12

Tuesday 19 July 2011

Encouragement in an Unexpected Place

Sometimes encouragement comes in the strangest ways.  Last week, I was encouraged while at the craft store.  I was trying to apply for a teacher discount that had been advertised, which in turn led to a discussion, between myself and 3 women I did not know, about homeschooling.  They were all so positive!  I have never had a complete stranger tell me something positive about homeschooling.  Usually, I get the polite, tight smile or the nervous looks.  Not this day!  When I mentioned my son has "special needs", they were even more enthusiastic in telling me what a great decision I had made to homeschool my kids.

After all the negative reactions I've gotten, this was truly refreshing.  Not that every reaction I've heard has been anti-homeschooling, but every negative reaction feels like 5 (if you know what I mean) especially when choosing to home educate is only one of a list of highly stressful things you're dealing with.

Anyway, I got my teacher discount and I was encouraged all at the same time!

Thanks for visiting today!

1 comment:

Jenifer Harrod said...

That is great. It feels good when the comments are good ones. I know what you mean about the negative ones. Keep up the good work you are doing a great job with your home schooling. I'm not the best at it but I try to teach my children something everyday. Come by and see me at: feedingnineonadime.com